Tuesday, March 11, 2008

What a Life!

I have had the most bitter-sweet 2 1/2 weeks. Thanks for your prayers and kind thoughts...I wish I had been doing homework, but that was not the case...my life was invaded. Sorry to those of you who have heard the story, I thought I'd share with everyone rather than re-writing it.
My oldest niece Frances went in for gallbladder surgery...no problem right...in and out in a few hours and has women at the house that can help with the baby. Well Wednesday night after surgery, she put the baby to bed and collapsed in pain. I got a call saying that the ambulance had taken her to the hospital...unfortunately, I left my cell phone at work, so I was home writing my final paper. Actually I think it was a God thing that I didn't have my phone because I would have gone to the hospital and never would have had time to do my final. Anyway, the next morning I got to work and checked my phone and left for the hospital.
The doctors thought she might just be overly dramatic from her surgery, so nothing was done until 1pm Thursday when they did a CT scan. Then Dr Dave came in (wooo hoo...he was so good looking...the bright spot of being at the hospital all day). He told Frances that she had some fluid internally, but it was just from the irrigation from surgery and again suggested that she might just be overreacting. That's when I had to pipe in. I said everyone in this family has an extreme threshold for pain, for Pete's sake (not that I know Pete or anything), she had her child natural and was up and around the next day and didn't need a single Tylenol. He looked at me seriously then and said "we'll try one more thing." They took her in for more tests and found that her body had filled with bile. Apparently, Dr Dave somehow poked a hole in one of her bile ducts and wasn't aware of it. They rushed her into surgery and put some sort of drain pipe (that's what I called it) in her to get the bile out....uh, I had lots of names for the gadget, but was yelled at because laughing = pain...therefore, names were forbidden (I still had to throw a few cracks in). So, Dr Dave woke me up around midnight to let me know how the surgery went...mmm hmmm...Dr Dave was a nice wake up call...lol. Anyway, so all is sort of well...right...wrong. Frances has a baby, which now means Auntie has a baby.

I called it "the runway".

Like I have a clue what to do with a 6 month old baby...so I put her on the runway and provided healthy boundaries for her...like any normal psych student would. I pulled every available pillow, and puffy quilt in my house to make it a most pleasant experience for her and me both. She's a roller and I didn't want her smacking her precious head on the concrete fireplace floor thingy, or grabbing any wood to build a fire...she's a smart one...lol.
She really was an awesome baby. She took a bath, took her last bottle at 7:15, and I took her upstairs and put her in my feather bed, laid my hand on her little belly and prayed for her, and she was out. She slept with me the first week and I would wake up and poke her to make sure she was still breathing...scary thing those little people are.

Granny (my sister) came out the first weekend to help with Frances...so she got 6am baby duties...lol...oh yeah, I woke her up sent her to my room and I crawled in her bed...then, of course, got up to take a picture. hee hee

I took time off work to take care of her...she is the most darling little girl in the world, but I was so stressed out. I didn't know if I should find a daycare...how I was going to budget for daycare...how I would choose one...uhhh...then I finally said "Frances, you are going to have to find a way to comfort your baby without holding her." Sounds kind of mean, but I was freaking out. So I set everything up near the runway so Frances would be able to change her, feed her...blah blah blah...with as little movement as possible. Well, it worked and I went back to work, but like I said, I have no idea how to care for a baby and while Frances was taking care of her, she noticed that Anika's neck was swollen. Anika has a thyroglossal duct cyst and it became infected and I didn't notice it...it was the size of a ping pong ball. Woo, I felt bad. We got that under control and she forgave me, but passed her little cold on to me in the process....little petri dishes too they are.
Anyway, so I'm sick, working, coming home and taking care of Frances, and doing my baby routine...every night after I put her to bed, I went right downstairs, sat on the sofa, and fell asleep.

Meet Senior Penguini

She loved this little guy...he's a bath sponge I got in my expensive little shop-because-I-have-a-baby-in-my-house trip to Target...it was soooo much fun!

My cats weren't thrilled about the addition, but they certainly have taken to sleeping in her bouncer. I warned them that they would be gassed if they touched the baby. They took me serious too...they never stepped on the runway...they always walked the perimeter of it knowing my eyes were watching them. My Chloe is not fond of little people, she pops them on the forehead and smacks their bottom's when they walk by her...at least she keeps her claws in. Anyway, my boy cat is a sweetie and eventually allowed her to pet him and even purred to Anika's utmost delight...I think he was really starved for attention. No, they aren't spoiled.

So, the drama has ended. I took Frances and Anika home on Sunday and then went to bed. I was really exhausted! Monday morning I woke up, and as usual, I turned on the Joni show to wake me up a bit, then when I hear Joyce Meyers voice, I know it's time to get up and get ready. Well, as I was getting ready, I heard Beth Moore on Life Today...I went into a full on panic attack because I thought I was so tired that I slept until Wednesday!!!
My homework was late two weeks in a row and I never wrote a huge paper, so I have some making up to do, but I am finally back to normal. Sure do miss my Bab's sweet smile & kisses though!


beckyjomama said...

OK, first of all, if I knew how to do one of those prize thingies where you can put a banner on your page, I would ... for "World's Greates Aunt". You are awesome and where would they have been without ya?!?!?!
Secondly, I missed ya bloggy buddy!! Welcome back!
Thirdly, we have that same bouncer. IT is the only reason I get a shower some days. The little pull-play-music thingy keeps her entertained just long enough for a quick scrub down!
And, fourthly, you are crackin me up with the Beth Moore/sleepin' till wednesday thing ... only because I have been in similar shoes - except hours, not days, having gone by was my fear.

Love ya friend!!!
Becky jo

PS - tell me more about the cute doc. Will we be seeing him again?

CrownLaidDown said...

Wow! A whole lotta life in the one month, since I've read your blog...I love how you care for your family!

Praying for rest and health and blessings over you, my friend.

I want to call soon--when's a good time?
Much love,

HIS daughter said...

I saw you over at LPM this morning before class and thought..."I haven't "talked" to her in awhile..I'll write her a note when I get back in"...and THERE YOU WERE visiting at my blog-o-house while I was away :-)

Girl, you have been BUSY!! I have forgotten how hard it was with the babies...thanks for reminding me.

I COULD not do a baby at this age...no way! I'm almost 49 and I could babysit one for a couple of hours...but days...nope. With school...not at all.

You are a true "sister" and "sister in Christ" Ms Kate!
I wanted to read the rest of your blog because you write so beautifully..but I got to get back to homework :-( I'll have to come back and check it tomorrow.

By the way, was the drain thingy called a JP drain? Was it on the outside of her incision and they checked the fluid drawing off? Did it look like a hand grenade only see-through?

Just wondering. She is lucky to be doing so well. Anything spilling out into the peritoneal cavity is BAD.

Praise GOD for her healing!

Love and Prayers,

mer said...


WOW! You've certainly been busy!

My husband always tells me that I'm stronger than I think I am, and I must say that is true for you as well. I am so thankful your niece had you to help her!

I'll be praying for you to catch up...on your sleep and especially on your schoolwork.

Hang in there!


HIS daughter said...

Hey Ms. Kate,

I understand what you are saying about the episode in Colorado near you and how there was no accountability asked for by anyone.

The verse in 1 Corinthians 10:12 "Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed that he does not fall."...that just always scares me too death!

I tell the Father all the time that HE knows what he pulled me out of so please just take me home to be with HIM if it's a place I'm ever going to fall again.

My minister said in church once that he told the LORD to take him out immediately if HE knew that he was going to ever dishonor the name of the LORD. Then he said that we would all think he was up to no good if he died in a sudden accident..:-)

I looked up some of the words in Greek (Beth has me doing that on just about everything I read in scripture). "Heed" is "blepo" in Greek and it's where we get the words we use in the medical field for the eyes. Sort of like discerning with the eye.

I am so glad at times I have nothing in myself to be proud and make a big stand about. My pit dwelling years are so ugly that I couldn't even muster up a good prideful moment for long.

Going back to study. We have so much coming up between now and the end of the school year...the push to the finish including the big dosing calculations test. If we don't pass this - we don't go on. We are out of nursing school. PERIOD.
Pray for me, because if I pass that, it will be all of the Father's doing. HE invented math and I am not delighted with that creation :-)
Praying for your end of school year!

Love and bunches of blessings and much prayers,

Nadine said...

Wow you had too much excitement. I'm glad everything worked out in the end. Good thing you were at the hospital to set Dr. Dave straight.

MelanieJoy said...

Hey Girl! Just checking in on ya.